The Whitewater Yakattack is a five-day course for kids 10-14 and provides instruction in safety, paddle strokes, bracing, rescues, rolling, and hydrology. Days one, two, and three take place on calm water behind our shop and in our warm pool. Days four and five are conducted at a suitable river location. The exuberance and natural learning ability of children never fails to keep the instructors’ creative juices flowing!
- Fun games in kayaks
- Introduction to basic equipment
- Basic body mechanics and efficiency of stroke
- Forward and reverse paddling
- Sweep strokes
- Draw strokes
- Turning on the move
- Edging while turning
- Wet exits
- Introduction to basic hydrology
- Introduction to basic safety
- and much much more!!!
200 NE Tomahawk Island Dr. Portland, OR 97212 (503) 285-0464.
Exit 308 off I-5 in North Portland, head east on Tomahawk Island Dr. for 7/10 of a mile, look for the store on the right.
Gear needs for Whitewater Yakattack:
What to bring to the pool:
- Retention device for your glasses(i.e. Croakies, Chums, etc)
- Synthetic top (thermal underwear)
- Nylon shorts and/or swimsuit
- Change of clothes for ride home
- Nose plugs
- Swim goggles
Each day on the river –
If you are un-able to bring the items listed below please let us know as we can provide them if needed. We typiaclly provide immersion wear in the form of either a neoprene wetsuit or nylon drysuit with latex gasket seals and neoprene boots.
- Sunglasses with retention device (i.e. Croakies, Chums, etc)
- SUNSCREEN PLEASE
- NO COTTON Synthetic top and bottom layers (thermal underwear, heavier wt. for cooler weather)
- Nylon shorts and/or swimsuit for warmer days
- Hiking style wool or synthetic socks
- FULL Water bottle
- LUNCH small enough to pack into the boats
- Towel and change of clothes for ride home
- Water proof camera