Our two and a half day Sea Kayak: Full Immersion 1 class provides an abundance of information in a short period of time. You will learn more and absorb a higher number of concepts by focusing on paddling your sea kayak 3 out of 4 days for this class. Optimum retention of knowledge can be achieved when you have more opportunity for reinforcement. A clear progression of topics translates to greater paddling skills and increased enthusiasm for the sport! Take the leap and jump in with both feet. Learn to Sea Kayak, Become immersed
Pool and classroom session Thursday evening at North Clackamas Aquatic Park 7pm
- Edging, Bracing, and balance in the pool along with re-entry review
Saturday at Alder Creek 9am
- Basic Seamanship including chart reading and practical navigation
- Boat Control and maneuvering
- Trip planning and group awareness
- Basic Rescues
Sunday Tour 9-4pm
- Practical application of skills while underway
- Practice rescue and maneuvering
- Basic navigation exercises
Thursday night 7 pm - North Clackamas Aquatic Park: 7300 SE Harmony Rd., Milwaukie, OR 97222.(503)794-8080. Take the Sunnyside Rd. Exit off I-205 and go west across 82nd Ave. This is where Sunnyside Rd. will turn into Harmony Rd. Take a left at the 2nd traffic light and follow the road back and around to the aquatic park.
Saturday Morning 9:00 am - Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe: 200 NE Tomahawk Island Drive, Portland, Or. 97217 (503)285-0464. Take the Jantzen Beach exit off I-5 (exit 308) and go east. The store is on the east end of the island past the fire house, condominiums, and yacht clubs on the south side of the road about ½ mile from I-5
Sunday Morning - To be determined
free rental gift certificate after class
What you will need for this course: (be sure to read to the bottom)
Thursday night at the pool -
Customers have the option to use their own gear with approval. Boats need to have secure buoyancy in both the bow and the stern. In the pool we often use short boats due to the confined space. feel free to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about using your own boat.
If you are un-able to bring the items listed below please let us know as we can provide them if needed.
What to bring to the pool:
- Retention device for your glasses(i.e. Croakies, Chums, etc) Synthetic top (thermal underwear)
- Nylon shorts and/or swimsuit
- Change of clothes for ride home
- Nose plugs
- Swim goggles
- Synthetic Top
Saturday and Sunday on the water -
If you are un-able to bring the items listed below please let us know as we can provide them if needed. We typiaclly provide immersion wear in the form of either a neoprene wetsuit or nylon drysuit with latex gasket seals and neoprene boots.
Only in the hottest summer months do we run courses without some form of immersion wear. The water is cold year round so you will need to bring layers to wear under the suits provided.
- Sunglasses with retention device (i.e. Croakies, Chums, etc)
- NO COTTON Synthetic top and bottom layers (thermal underwear, heavier wt. for cooler weather)
- Nylon shorts and/or swimsuit for warmer days
- Hiking style wool or synthetic socks
- Water bottle
- LUNCH small enough to pack into the boats
- Towel and change of clothes for ride home
- Water proof camera
- River shoes or booties